Home Sweet Home

18 Apr

No man needs a vacation so much as the person who has just had one.
– Elbert Hubbard

Okay, so we didn’t exactly go for a vacation, but the quote still stands. This trip was anything but relaxing and I have decided I never want to drive again. The amount of driving I did from Wednesday to Friday was enough to last me a lifetime.

We left here at 5:15pm on Wednesday, after Johnny got home from work. We got about 2 minutes down the street and realized we’d left Silas’ sippy cup on the kitchen counter so we turned around and went back. We finally got on the road at about 5:30pm. We dropped Hayden off with his Momma and Granddad and the rest of the trip was fairly uneventful. Weather was fine, it was a bit annoying to have to drive in the dark for the last couple hours of the trip, but not a huge deal. We arrived in St. John’s at about 10:30pm. Checked into the hospital’s hostel for the night and went to settle into our room.

We decided to turn in early since Silas had to be at the surgical day care at 7:45am, but our little scamp had slept in the car since 7 pm and didn’t feel that an early bedtime was necessary. In my infinite mommy wisdom (complete sarcasm intended) I figured the best plan of action might be to take him into bed with me and have Johnny sleep in the other bed because he may be more likely to settle down if I was right there.

Sleeping with Silas is what I imagine it’s like to sleep with the Tasmanian Devil. He doesn’t stay still. He takes up more room than any child his size ever should. And he wants to sleep on you, not next to you. I woke up on the far edge of the bed with his head on my chest. Worst night’s sleep ever. Add to the pain that at some point in the night Johnny ended up rolling on his back and snored so loudly that it woke me…and you have one tired mama in the morning.

We got up at 6:30am and started getting ready to take Silas to surgery. He impressed every single doctor and nurse that he came in contact with. At about 10:00 he finally was taken down to surgery. The following hour was the longest of my life. I was tired, had a headache and completely stressed out. I just wante it to be over and for them to give me my baby back. I took a trip to the gift shop to distract myself and bought Silas a stuffed dog with fur that feels like real puppy fur. When they allowed us to sit with him in post-op we gave it to him. He loved the dog and named him Buddy.

That afternoon we were far more tired than Silas was.  We had figured he wouldn’t feel up to doing anything…but it turns out that Mommy and Daddy were the only ones that wanted to nap, so we took turns napping while the other occupied our strangely active little boy who was as proud as punch that his belly was “all fixed”.

That night we gave him his pain medicine at about 9pm and tucked him in. He was asleep in no time. We thought we’d get to have a good night’s sleep too…but I didn’t sleep well at all. I heard every whimper my little boy made and at 6am woke up to check on him. He was burning up.

Back to the emergency department we went. We spent over an hour there, with nurses fussing over him and telling him how gorgeous he was while he smiled and charmed them. Three different doctors came to see him, one purely because the nurses told him that he needed to see the “cute little boy”. Turns out that the fever wasn’t a big concern, could have been because of the broken rest, could be breeding a virus, could just be a reaction to the breathing tube they put in during his surgery. They gave us instructions to give him Tylenol and fluids and all was well.

We went back to our room and everyone napped for an hour before we started to get ready to check out and go shopping. Shopping, of course, is a relative term because we had no spare cash to actually buy anything, but we did want to look. We picked up a little something for the three boys and then picked up my niece Tiffany to have lunch. Rustlers was our stop for lunch and Silas ordered a hamburger with broccoli. I’m not joking. He didn’t eat either the hamburger or the broccoli though, because his painkillers wore off around lunchtime and he spent most of it trying not to cry while waiting for the next dose to kick in. I felt horrible.

From there we took Tiffany to her friend’s house to study and went to Toys R Us to look at everything possible and waste the last bit of time before our big 3D ultrasound. I tried to psych myself up for the liklihood of being told that we’re having another boy by looking at cute little boy things. Silas, as per usual, was a total angel. Even though he was awed by all the toys he didn’t nag for a single thing and didn’t throw a single tantrum.

Off to the 3D ultrasound! We got there plenty early and I filled out the forms stating that we wanted to know the gender, who our doctor was, how far along I was, etc. We got in a few minutes early and the first thing that the tech went for was the gender. It was then we heard those words.

“It’s a girl.”

The Difinitive Three Lines

My first thought was: “Did I hear her right?” Johnny says his was something like, “Well that’s different.” Silas just gave us all a look like “I told you it was a girl. Noobs.”

A little girl! She redid the gender check three times in order to reassure me that it was indeed a baby girl. All three times, the three defining lines of girl parts! We had a hard time getting good shots of her face because she kept burying her face in my uterine wall and making shadows form on her nose and cheeks, but we did get a couple of decent ones.

Our little Lola Sophia!

This is my favorite. She has her mouth open slightly and her nose, chin and lips all remind me of Silas.

Blue or Green eyes, do you think?

She opened her eyes for us, did a lot of yawning, and waved her arms around, kicking and playing. It was an amazing experience and definitely worth the money that we spent. The staff at UC Baby were amazing and it was something I would recommend to anyone.

So there you have it! A healthy little boy with a repaired belly, a healthy baby girl due in July, and we’re home safe and sound, despite the drive home being an hour longer than it needed to be due to fog. We enjoyed Friday night and Saturday with my folks and had a fabulous dinner courtesy of my mom who is delirious at the thought of her first granddaughter in 19 years!

Now to clean out the nursery and start the painting! Stay tuned!


9 Responses to “Home Sweet Home”

  1. purplume April 18, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

    I am so happy for you. What a lovely post. It reminds me how busy mothering is. All good things to all of you.

  2. Simply Me April 18, 2010 at 5:24 pm #

    Congratulations ..i m so happy and xcited for you 🙂
    and no wonder i missed your comments and posts , coz of this trip ..Glad to hear Silas is doin fine too ..
    Congratulations once again .. Lots of love .. P

  3. E. April 19, 2010 at 12:08 am #

    Congratulations on havign a girl and gettign to see her. And hurray that Silas’ tummy is all fixed.

  4. kimmy8989 April 19, 2010 at 12:12 am #

    Great post!!! and Congratulations… have a nice day and rest well..

  5. Tracy April 19, 2010 at 2:19 am #

    ZOMG! Congratulations on the impending daughter! 😀 Email me your address! And I’m glad to hear Silas is doing well!

  6. Nadja April 19, 2010 at 7:43 am #

    I’m so happy to hear that Silas’s surgery went well. After all, he’s got to be at tip top shape to be the big brother protector for his little sister. And yay! You’ll finally have a little princess to add to the family! I’m so excited for you and for the rest of your army. The ultrasound photos are amazing.

  7. Simply Me April 20, 2010 at 11:19 pm #

    hey Joannie ..you won my giveaway …guess the little girl is already bringing mommy lots of luck …
    send me an email with your address and dont forget to select your favorite pair of earrings .
    Lots of love

    • raisinganarmy April 20, 2010 at 11:21 pm #

      Oh yay!!! I never win anything but this is awesome! Sending you an email right now!


  1. 2010: A Year in Review « Raising an Army - January 2, 2011

    […] almost positive that I saw little girly parts, but couldn’t be sure. We had to wait for our 3D ultrasound in April to confirm what I thought I’d seen. We had a wonderful experience at UC Baby and if we ever […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: